Beacon Lighting : Over 50 years of lighting and ceiling fans
Beacon Lighting has been around for more than 50 years. Since their humble beginnings with just one retail outlet the company has grown into Australia’s biggest retailer for lights and fans. The brands Fanaway, Lucci and Bayside are part of the Beacon Lighting family.
History of the Australian business Beacon Lighting
First Beacon shop on Chapel Street.
- 1967 Mr John Strahan founds a retail store in Melboure, Australia
- 1969 Mr Ian Robinson begins work as an employee
- 1975 Ian purchases the store (John Strahan later goes on to found Sheraton Lighting)
- 1989 The first Beacon Lighting franchise store is opened, several other stores follow in Melbourne, Sydney, Canberra, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Perth, Adelaide and Hobart
- 1994 12-year old son Glen Robinson becomes involved in the company
- 2007 The division Beacon Solar launches
- 2008 The revolutionary Fanaway ceiling fans are introduced
- 2011 Distribution to international retailers begins, mainly in Europe
- 2013 Glen takes over the position of CEO, his father Ian continuing as Executive Director tätig (Executive Chairman starting in 2014)
- 2014 Stock market launch, family Robinson keeps 55 percent of shares / begin of online sales (ca. 2% of the turnover)
- 2016 Construction of the Claremont store
- 2017 50 years Beacon Lighting, the 100th store opens
In the year 1969 an ambitious employee began working in the store: Ian Robinson. He purchased the store in 1975, expanding it over the span of 50 years until it became Australia’s biggest lighting retailer. Ian adopted the company and developed inspirational values such as "Be a Beacon. Be a shining example. Do everything to the best of your ability with enthusiasm and energy and inspire others". This kind of enthusiasm was passed on to the next generation. Ian’s son Glen began helping in the business at the tender age of 12 years. Glen’s sister Prue directed the company’s marketing after finishing her studies. Ten years later, in 2014, the business is big enough to go public at the Australian stock market. Beacon Lighting shares make their debut as one of the best newcomers of the last 12 months. The Robinson family owns the majority of shares. On their website they declare how proud they are to lead the business in Australia.
Beacon Lighting products
The Beacon product range still comprises globes, lights and ceiling fans. The use of ventilation devices and light fittings has a tremendous impact on our well-being indoors. That is why it is so important to find the right products for every individual situation. Beacon Lighting carefully selects and presents a variety appropriate units.
Fanaway ceiling fan light with retracted blades
Benefits of Beacon Lighting ceiling fans
- Unique, contemporary designs such as the Fanaway range
- Lighting with energy-efficient LEDs
- Huge product range offers something for every taste
- More than 50 years of experience
- Controllers like remote kits are often included in the package
- Light kits and extension drop rods are available for customisation
- Models suitable for outdoor use
- State-of-the-art technology
- Summer and winter settings
Beacon Lighting sells products through their own retail outlets, franchise stores and since 2014 on their website. According to The Sydney Morning Herald Beacon Lighting source 90% of their products directly from factories (without any middlemen). Most of the production is done in China. In order to find new design trends and inspiration, Beacon purchasing agents are on the move all around the globe. That means up-and-coming interior styles such as “Scandinavian“, “Industrial“ and “Black” can also be found in the Beacon range. The presentation of products is done in a highly professional manner, both in and out of the stores. Pristine photo quality, catalogues compiled with a love for detail and lighting experts that visit customers on-site are all part of the Beacon service. Online customers can take inspiration from Josh & Jenna. The interior designers frequently present new Beacon products and lookbooks, but also offer training courses. This allows Beacon Lighting to remain a “beacon“ on the market. And according to management this is exactly the plan for the next 50 years.
Technical advancement is very much supported by Beacon Lighting. Energy-efficient LED lighting with light fittings and ceiling fans alike along with DC motors are a core group of the product line.
Some of the ceiling fans such as the Bayside Calypso and Bayside Nautilus are suitable for use in outdoor areas. The products pick up on the lifestyle trends on the Australian coast.